Copilot (Advance Care Planning Facilitator)
Are you passionate about improving end of life care? Do you enjoy engaging and guiding people through difficult conversations?
If so, Copilots In Care has a job opening that might be that amazing part-time opportunity you have been hoping to find.
This empathetic role is the heart of our organization. You’ll be the embodiment of Copilots In Care as you sit down with clients and their family to provide unbiased education and space to reflect on, communicate, and document their medical wishes. In short you will be facilitating goals of care conversations for clients and families with chronic illness. Working closely with other teammates to share insights and refine the process, you will be responsible for client engagement and satisfaction. The ideal candidate thrives in an unstructured and fast paced startup environment. This is an immense opportunity to change the way people approach end-of-life decision making, ultimately helping them get the care they want.
- Visit clients with an advanced illness in their home to facilitate an open and unbiased conversation with them and their family, culminating in the completion of an Advance Directive and POLST form.
- Document psychosocial insights and prepare conversation guides for the care team.
- Assess unmet needs and connect clients with community resources.
- Follow up with clients every few months to assess changes in medical goals, and when appropriate update the AD and POLST.
- At least a Master’s of Social Work or Master’s of Marriage and Family Therapy from an accredited program. LSCW a plus.
- 3+ years of social work or MFT experience in a healthcare setting. Experience with hospice, palliative care, home health care, skilled nursing facilities, and/or chronic illness a plus.
- Fluency in English and Spanish a big plus.
- Formal training in motivational interviewing and empathetic listening.
- Passionate about improving end of life care.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Perceptive and empathetic.
- Energetic, strong work ethic, organized, and a self-starter.
- Natural inclination to go above and beyond expectations to create a positive experience for clients and families.
- Must be comfortable with software/PC use in job tasks
- Ability to travel locally per job requirements. Reliable, consistent and on time.
- 5-10 hours per week, during weekday evenings and weekends.
- $25 to $35 per hour plus mileage, depending on experience.
- Stock options, depending on experience.
- Opportunity to take a full-time role in a fast growing healthcare company.
- Los Angeles County (2 openings)
About Copilots In Care:
Our mission is to help people get the care they want. To start we’re focusing on probably the most vulnerable subpopulation – those with an advanced illness. We know that 70% of seniors want to pass away at home but only 30% have that wish honored. Often these people get stuck in the medical machine and lose control of the care they receive. Completing an advance care plan (ACP) has been shown to improve quality of life and reduce unwanted interventions by helping people communicate and document their medical goals. But few ACPs are completed because people with an advanced illness need help approaching the topic, and providers don’t have time for an in-depth conversation in their busy schedule. Copilots In Care fits into and solves this problem by (i) working with the health plan to identify potential clients with an advanced illness, then (ii) engaging those clients and facilitating a conversation where they communicate their medical goals and complete an ACP, and finally (iii) communicating these personal insights to the providers so the care plan can be adjusted to meet the client’s medical goals. We create a win for all of the stakeholders.
About the culture at Copilots In Care:
- Teamwork – Together we succeed or together we fail. We operate from a position of respect and trust for our teammates, which shows when the team is able to be better than the sum of its individual parts
- Work Ethic – We say what we’ll do and we do what we say. We hit our goals, look at what we did, and ask, “How can we do this better?” Then, we use a systematic approach to take action.
- Client Experience – We strive to exceed client expectations, and continually seek to understand the needs of those who depend on us – our patients, their support group, our doctors and fellow teammates.
- Empathic Facilitation – First we seek to understand so we can stand shoulder to shoulder with our clients. Then we guide them through reflection and communication of their wishes. We approach difficult situations with empathy and the right intentions – to help clients get the care they want.
- Accountability – We don’t say, “It’s not my fault,” or “It’s not my job.” We take responsibility for meeting our commitments — our personal ones as well as those of the entire organization. We take ownership of the results.
- Fulfillment – We have an impact on the lives around us, and it feels great because what we do in our jobs is consistent with our personal goals and our dreams.
How to apply:
- Send an email to admin[at]copilotsincare.com with your resume and a few lines about why you’re interested.